Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Home Sweet Home

And I'm Home.

After a rather uneventful two weeks on Respiratory medicine (uneventful not due to my team, the team was awesome, but because the hospital is slowing down for the summer and the DANGER-Intern flip day), I had my big OSCE during which I was given a personal demonstration of proper DRE technique. Let's not talk about that. I drank on Friday, almost missed my alarm on Saturday morning, flew to NYC, drove to Greenwich, and watched my cousin get married.

The wedding, which my mom referred to as a "mature" wedding (I guess unlike the weddings I have been attending of late? True my cousin is about 10 years my senior) was lovely. We sat the Irish on one side of the church, the Dutch on the other and had a lovely little ceremony. The reception was in the Greenwich country club (beautiful location), and I started to drop sharply just after the entrée arrived. I did last through the speeches, which seemed aimed at taking pot shots at Beck (but in a nice friendly way), and through the first dance and parent dances. But I didn't stay to boogie on the floor with the fam. Quite a night though. We wrapped up with brunch at the yacht club the next morning (I was a little more awake for this, though a few people were a little green around the gills). Kate arrived to applause, only to leave again, seemingly having forgotten Beck and needing to retrieve him. I'm sure she told him to get in the car, he must have wandered off :) The brunch was really family time, and the Larkin cousins are planning a trip or something... Danger. But we had more time to catch up and chat, time to wish the newly married couple well (they're off to Bali! So Jealous!), and time for more hugs all around.

After brunch, it was back to the hotel to pack up, to the Westchester Airport (which was a pleasant change from JFK), and flight back to MN. The flight was a bit delayed coming into NY, then we were delayed sitting on the tarmac because of lightning, so we didn't get home until 9ish... and I was among the walking dead at that point.

So, I've been home and "alive" since Monday. It feels good. I'm just hanging with the fam and taking it easy. Hard core studying starts next Monday (woot) and I'll be keeping a bit of a running commentary on the USMLE (or the u-smelly according to Tom) here in the blog. Also, to keep me honest, I'll be keeping track of my marathon training here as well (see below). And the final thing, I'll be keeping track of my summer soundtrack here. Basically, there'll be a song every week that somehow has become my anthem for the few days. There'll be a running list of that.

Marathon Week #1: 6/23-6/29
Ok, I don't want to say that this week was a total bust, but it kinda was. I didn't do any running (like any at all) until Sunday... which was a lovely 4 mile (6am) run around Old Greenwich. I had found a "route" on mapmyrun.com (which I highly recommend using when you travel... or when you're at home) and proceeded to miss one of my turns. I didn't get lost, I'm pretty good at finding my way, but it did provide some lovely scenery. It's nice to be back running where there are tons of other runners around... rather than people walking and giving you strange looks. It was hot and humid (something I haven't had the pleasure of running in in quite some time) and I felt a little like Jello, but I'm blaming the jet-lag.

But Liz, why didn't you run till Sunday? Well, I thought it would be a good idea to spend my time biking in and out of school. It's a little over 8 miles each way (up hill in, down hill back). The mornings were lovely, sunny, no traffic (because I'd leave around half 6), and even though they were up hill, they were bearable. Plus, there is something nice about getting to Blanch, showering, and being fresh (the bus always leaves me with that less than fresh feeling). The afternoons... well... I didn't like them as much. The Quays were always traffic heavy, and there's nothing like feeling as though you're about to die to keep you from wanting to do something. The second day, I was absolutely drowned in Phoenix Park. The downpour was so bad that I had to stop and wait for it to let up, because I couldn't actually see anything. On Thursday, Ed rode with me, God bless him. I'm slow on a bike (especially a bike that isn't mine and is far too big for me). But he patiently waited for me at the stoplights and went slowly through the park. He even introduced me to a better way home (better except for one hill which I will henceforth call evil hill of death). Friday was the OSCE... I wasn't going to ride in, because that would merit a drunken bike home and would certainly lead to bodily injury.

Overall: Biking=Good IF you have a bike that's built for you. As Richie said, "Sure you wouldn't do surgery with a sausage... I mean, you need the right equipment, that's all."

Week #1 = Meh... Not good by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't a total bust. I'll catch up on the miles I owe. Goals for Week #2 = Actually run.

Summer Soundtrack:
  1. Life in a Nutshell - Barenaked Ladies

No comments: