Monday, January 3, 2011

About that letter...

"You see, I can't survive on my own. Even now, when I finally get to go home, in the back of my head, I'll know the hospital's still here, wide awake. But what the hell. The most important thing is that I got through my first three days without looking like a complete idiot... I'm the man."
~ J.D.
(and anyone intensely familiar with Scrubs knows that he promptly walks into a door)

Hi there 2011.

That's right, I do have a letter to myself. I did read it on NYE. And I did write a new one on Jan 1, 2011...

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, allow me to explain. A few years ago, I stopped making a list of resolutions and adopted a new plan. I write a letter to myself. I carry the letter around for a year (it's normally tucked away in a small pocket of my bag). Then I read it on NYE (or NYD). Last year, being a fresh decade, I wrote two letters to myself, but then I only get to read one this year.

I'm not comfortable publishing the entire letter online. It's too personal. But there are a few main points I made to myself last year; those I will share.
  • Be Loveable - in the sense of embracing myself and loving me.
  • Plans are... like peeing in the ocean - No, Joe, I didn't write that for you specifically, but think about it. You know I'm right.
  • Life isn't fair, get on with it - don't take the important people for granted.
  • Lose the baggage - it's not just that I'm a pack rat... I carry everything with me.
  • Polish your halo - be good.
I asked for 3 main things for myself... I managed 2. And as Meatloaf says, two outta three ain't bad. Recurring phrase: Happy Bunny! (for those of you in the States, this is NOT the same as chubby bunny).

2010 was a good year. It was intense, it was full of change, it was scary, and it's over. To my friends: thank you, you are amazing.

To 2011... Bring it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Chica. I finally wrote this years letter. Thanks so much for this great...hmm...what do I call it?... gift, tool, idea, tip... I hope this year is better than last year as always, and I hope your letter helps bring you all you want and need. XOXO Em