Friday, December 31, 2010

Welcoming 2011 with More Music

So, as my tradition stands, I've put together a playlist for the new year.

2011 is a prime year... I've been to a few concerts this year, so there's dedications for those. Most of these are things on heavy rotation, new and fantastic, or things that I have a special tie to. So without further ado, here's Music for the New Year (2011 edition):

  1. Trust Me I'm a Doctor - The Blizzards
    [Dedicated to the RCSI class of 2010 - welcome to being real doctors... Scary.]

  2. Wish List - Neon Trees
    [This is the 2nd song from Neon Trees that I'd heard. It's now on my Christmas playlists. I like these guys, they've got some spunk, and it's a different sound than what I've heard recently. Plus... I have a bit of a wish list like them.]

  3. Firework - Katy Perry
    [Ok, Katy's songs get overplayed every time... I think the second I put this on the list, I'm going to be sick of hearing it. But I like it. I admit it. I like it. At the moment, it's being used to promote Love & Other Drugs. Heart.]

  4. Future Kings - Miracle Bell
    [Heard these guys as they opened for the Coronas. They're fun! Their 2nd on vocals/misc percussion/guitar looks like "Tighten" from Megamind or Jonah Hill... Hilarious. But they've got a great sound. I hope they go far.]

  5. Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons
    [I can't believe I've only had this album since Feb. I love it. Mumford has a great crescendo in just about every song. But this one is my favourite... And it's #1 on my top played list for iTunes right now.]

  6. Radioactive - Kings of Leon
    [I have to give a nod to Kings for their new album. But... There's nothing like hearing a clip of a song, live, when you're in another country, feeling miserable, and stuck in a city that you don't belong in. This song will always make me smile now.]

  7. Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
    [After first hearing this in 500 Days of Summer... It is EVERYWHERE. Thank you O2 for overplaying something in every commercial you've ever made... But I still like the song.]

  8. Christmas Lights - Coldplay
    [New this holiday season... And chill... And a bit sad... And brilliant piano music. On heavy rotation for the Season, and probably will keep on into the new year.]

  9. Stuff We Did - Michael Giacchinos
    [If you don't know this song, it's considered the "theme" from the movie Up. It makes me tear up. It's so gentle, and the way it was used in the movie was brilliant. It's also one of my new piano songs.]

  10. All We Are - Matt Nathanson
    [Peaceful with where things are in life... I think this guy is going to be big. He's a bit in the mold of Mayer and Morrison, but he has much more content lyrics. I really like this one. Chills me out.]

  11. For the First Time - The Script
    [Love the new album... I'm considering getting tickets to see them in the Aviva this spring... I'm just not sure I can tolerate the teenagers I'd have to fight off. But I dig this song. Positive in the economic time.]

  12. Curl Up and Die - Relient K
    [Ok, it's been a while since I've given Relient K a listen. This came up on my genius a month ago, and I really like it. It has a different guitar feeling than most of their stuff (and I bit less Jesus than some of their songs). But it's a b-side, so that's probably why. It's not as depressing as it would sound from the title.]

  13. Black Hole Sun (live acoustic) - Chris Cornell
    [I remember first hearing this in Humarock when I was in middle school... Crazy music video. But this is a nod to Chris, and the fact that they're getting back together and making some new music.]

  14. Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
    [Saw them in concert! Great concert! (totally suited for the O2) Now, this was not played, but it needs to be out there. Plus, I got this on cd for Christmas. <3]

  15. Second Chance - Shinedown
    [I don't know of another song by this group, and I don't know who to compare them to, but I like this. Heard it once, and was sold. Just a bit of growing-pains, bit of positive spin on accomplishments.]

  16. You've Got the Love - Florence and the Machine
    [This has been a great year for this band. I think this is my favourite of their songs, ignoring that it was used a bit too often in Grey's Anatomy commercials.]

  17. All the Right Moves - One Republic
    [There is something great about this song. I don't know if some of it isn't that I found out how they got the fantastic drum sounds in it... it involved an old house, a spiral staircase, multiple floors of percussion, and a moving mic... Cool.]

  18. Come On Get Higher - Matt Nathanson
    [And here he is again. This is such a great song. Light and happy, hopeful, chill... Something I'd love to have a boyfriend sing to me one day.]

  19. Halfway Gone - Lifehouse
    [They're coming to Dublin! I'm super excited for this concert. I've never seen them live, and I've been listening to them since Hanging By a Moment came out my freshman year of college. The new album is great. A bit more rock than they have been recently. Good job!]

  20. Far from Here - The Coronas
    [One of the few songs that went off before the power failure at the concert in Dec. Go Coronas! I dig the new album, and they're very fun in concert, even when things aren't going to plan.]

  21. Raise Your Glass - Pink
    [A nod to all my nitty, gritty, dirty, little freaks. You know who you are. It's a fun song and a great wrap for a cd.]
... Roll on 2011. I'm looking forward to more great music!

No comments: