Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Light at the end of the tunnel

Is it the end? ...or is it an oncoming train?

Things are still all up and down. I'm going through more mood swings than a pregnant woman (and no! I'm not pregnant). At the moment, I just want this disaster to be over. I'm trying to break up my study days (and I'm up to about 9 hours of studying each day) with some running and maybe an hour of mindless tv (gotta love CSI-Vegas and the Closer for that). Plus, I'm isolating myself in a soundless room for about 3 straight hours so I can get used to working in boredom. That's about my all that's going on in my life.

I go out for a drink every now and then with friends to try and remind myself to be normal and socialized... it works... sort of. But I have my calendar set for the rest of the summer to get things taken care of.

My cousin Kate (who was married at the end of June) emailed pictures from the event. I have two new fave picts from it:
I look so short! (and the sad part is, I'm wearing 3 inch heels)... Oh well. Don't my brothers look classy? I think that second pict looks like something out of a GQ magazine... at least Joe does. Mike looks like he probably has a gun and is threatening someone who made a crass comment. But they're great picts.

In other news, Brent got engaged! So uber congrats to Brent and Kate!!!

Marathon Week #10: 8/25-8/31
I decided to take a light week on the running to refresh myself. I was really burning out energy-wise, and I think I needed the break. I have one tough week next week, then a light week before the USMLE. I'll still have a month when I get back to Dublin to tighten up my training and decide if the marathon is going to happen. I think if the USMLE is done, it'll be a lot easier... Hm... a marathon... easy... I'm sick.

USMLE Update:
After some massive panicking, I've spoken with some people that calmed me down. My test is set for the 17th of Sept, which is just about the last feasible day before I leave for Dublin (Sept 22). I think I want to do this and be done. I keep freaking out though. I'm not sure if I'm more scared of failing or of doing well enough to just pass and being stuck with a weak score. But... I think I can get around a weaker score with Step 2 and my interviews... I hope. I don't think it would behove me to try and take this at Christmas. *Sigh* I just want to be a good doctor. And part of me is resistant to the idea that I need to know all of this crap to do that. I know it's another hoop... but it's high, and it's on fire... I'm sick of jumping through hoops. Here's to two more weeks of studying.

Summer Soundtrack:
  1. Life in a Nutshell - Barenaked Ladies
  2. Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne
  3. How Far We've Come - Matchbox Twenty
  4. In Da Club - 50 cent
  5. Handlebars - Flobots
  6. When I Grow Up - Pussycay Dolls
  7. Time to Pretend - MGMT
  8. Vampire Weekend - A-Punk
  9. Troublemaker - Weezer
  10. Viva la Vida - Coldplay (I'm totally addicted to this song. I just love it, and it's so mellowdramatic)

2 comments:

Greer Hannan said...

Stay strong!

Unknown said...

Liz you look so wonderful, really beautiful. Your smile really brightens all days and I can't stop looking at it. (not in a creepy way, I swear.)

And I must say the Larkin men are looking very dapper.

I hope you all had fun.

Hugs,

Em