Thursday, January 3, 2013

Welcome to 2013 ... WAIT! We can't put that on the license plates!

So 2013... I'd like to say I celebrated with a huge party, by going out with friends, by staying up late and watching the fireworks, by... well, by doing the things I did when I wasn't this old. But alas, I did not. I barely made it to midnight by watching a (good)bad movie on the couch with my man, and maybe, just maybe, consuming a glass of champagne. But hey, I did get my midnight kiss. And I can't complain about that.

The lack of festivities is attributable to two main things: 1) Work. Both Ben and I have been working non-stop since we returned from the US. Lots of call, lots of late nights with no sleep, lots of ER shifts, lots of tired and the inevitable exhaustion and illness that follows (like the return of bacterial tonsillitis and pyrexia... yay!). 2) Jet-lag. I haven't taken two consecutive weeks off since I started work, and moreover, I haven't gone home for two weeks in a row since med school. The combination of 16 days in a single timezone 6 hours from the one I tend to inhabit is a protracted jet-lag exacerbated by all the on-call 24+ hour shifts I've been pulling. In spite of this, I have to say it was a more pleasant NYE celebration than last year, which was spent charting medications for sick children, on-call in the hospital... But no, that's what I did for Christmas.

I'm going to put up an entirely separate post about my trip to the US, because that deserves one. So this is the New Year post only. I tend to discuss my letters to myself in these posts, but I don't really want to talk about the one from last year. I seem to have written one that is quite personal, and I'm not sure I want to get into it here. But in writing my letter this year, I'd like to make the following observations:
  • I'm grateful for the people in my life, especially the people that rally around me when things are not going well. I am blessed with a family that truly believes that, "Blood is thicker than water." And I have friends who are loyal as hounds. And Ben has his own special column. He's my anti-crazy and keeps me so level and balanced... and he feeds me :)
  • I have been lucky with my health and should do more to ensure it. I miss running... Sometimes, I actually ache to go for a long run. At this point, it'd be mostly panting and huffing and puffing like an idiot, but it was something that kept my head clear. I think I need to work it back into my life. Clearly, less distance and damage than before. But hopefully if I balance it with yoga and tennis, it won't make me sore. I'm considering the goal of running in the Flora in June... I could build to 10K in 6 months.
  • There aren't going to be too many massive changes in 2013, but 2014... Let's just say that there will be a lot of work going into making things happen and 2013 is a building year. I need to get a lot of things done and put things into motion. I've never really been too bad about keeping my eye on the long-term prize, but this year may test my resolve. So remind me why I'm doing what I'm doing...
Now... The other thing that tends to come out in this post - My New Year's Music Playlist!!! This year, it's subtitled: One of these years this list will be so offensive to Thom that he'll either disown me or have an aneurysm.

New Year's Music 2013:
  1. This is the New Year - Ian Axel
    [I actually first heard this a week prior to 2013. I like it. There's something hopeful and lighthearted in this song. Plus, I love a piano as a lead instrument. It felt like a great kick-off song.]
  2. Two Fingers - Jake Bugg
    [A slightly different take on leaving behind 2012. There's something incredibly Irish about this song. It's so tongue in cheek and bullish at the same time. The tone is still upbeat while being slightly crass. There are things I won't miss from 2012 and I feel as though getting of the year alive is an achievement in itself.]
  3. Little Black Submarines - The Black Keys
    [I've heard this described as "the best Led Zepplin song never made." I have to agree. There is something very classic rock and deep with this song. I fell in love with it the first time I heard it, which was shockingly late given how long the Keys have been around. They have a new fan.]
  4. Ho Hey - The Lumineers
    [There's something earthy and hippy about this song. And even though the lyrics are melancholic, I find it inherently happy. Plus, there's something fun about the shouts.]
  5. Sun - Two Door Cinema Club[Also a new band for me. Irish natives, these guys have a few new hits this year and I picked this one for no particular reason. I feel like there are bits and pieces of this song that remind me of other bands, and yet, they're definitely their own group. There's a strong horn section that changes the tone of the music and makes it feel happy.]
  6. Some Nights - Fun.
    [I think this song became a bit of an anthem for some people. But there are two things that draw me to it. First, I love the percussion. I have a thing for strong rhythm backlines in songs. Second, I love how it builds throughout. I saw the video at one point, and I've no clue what it has to do with the song, but I still dig it.]
  7. Flaws - Bastille
    [These guys are new as of this summer. I think they blend into the type of music I was listening to and would get lost if not for the strength of their lyrics. They ring true in ways that I didn't expect.]
  8. Do It Anyway - Ben Folds Five
    [Tip of the hat to Ben Folds Five being back together and making music. I love these guys. Nod of the head to having Fraggles in their video! I almost (almost) changed this to the second single off the album for how bold they are, but I like this song better. The discordant piano is so incredible from both a composition and an ability standpoint. But just to give mention, "If you can't draw a crowd, draw dicks on a wall." I feel like this is my work. It sucks, it's adult, it's heartbreaking sometimes, but we have to do it.]
  9. I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons
    [Ok, I loved the first album. The sophomore album is good, but it's polished in a way the first one isn't. There is more planning, more organisation, more transition in the new album. And because of that, the songs aren't nearly as raw or strong. This song is the most similar to the first album, and I dig it. I like the new album, but just not as much as the first. That being said, I can never get this song out of my head. And it's now solidified as the Belfast Road Trip song.]
  10. Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
    [This was overplayed, a summer anthem... somehow. It's uncommon. I love the vocals. It's so engaging. And there's so much story and emotion in the lyrics. Again, I got hooked by the horns and shouts. Mixed feelings with the 6 month change-over this July, and this was on the radio to cover it.]
  11. Hall of Fame - The Script
    [I don't make many workout mixes anymore, but this will be on my next running playlist. I know it's sappy, I know it was over-used for the Olympics. But two things: first, it is uplifting. This is a nice improvement for a Script song. I don't listen to it and feel depressed! Second, it was on while I was studying for not one, but two exams (both of which I passed).]
  12. Sexy and I Know It - LMFAO
    [If there's any song on this list that needs to be defended, it's probably this one. It's absolutely ridiculous. LMFAO are completely ridiculous. But when I hear this song, I think Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Every group marching/dancing/playing/throwing beads from a float in all of the parades had this song playing. So, you know what? Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah.]
  13. Titanium - David Guetta
    [This song sticks with me. I like it. It's pop/dance. It's terrible. I don't know how it sounds so much like Rhianna without getting punched by Chris Brown. But I like it. It would end up on the next workout mix I make. I'll cross the finish line for the Flora listening to this.]
  14. Rowing - Soundgarden
    [Ok, welcome back, dudes. Where the hell have you been for the past 20 years? Seriously. Did you see Eddie up there rocking it out with a new album and think, crap, we need back in on this? Well props. Most of the music on the new album is retro. It sounds like the old Soundgarden. But there's a few new sounds. And Chris, this is way better than what you did with Audioslave... and your solo album. Tribute to the kind of work I feel like I did for all of 2012. Somehow managed to row through it.]
  15. Throw Down - Tenacious D
    [Only official concert I saw in 2012. Tenacious D. Hilarious. Completely ridiculous and foul. But somehow as a band, D manages to cover each genre of music. In concert, they're brilliant. I highly recommend their song, "Jazz"... it's not actually 54 minutes long. But it is fun. I love the rock feel of this song. Bit aggressive, bit angry, bit confrontational... bit like me? We got to use our f*^king brains today before we're gone.]
  16. Change - Churchill
    [I don't even know where I came across this song. Someone recommended having a listen about 2 months ago. I don't tend to like chick rock, but I don't think they go too far in this song. It walks a fine line between pop and rock. And it hits home... change - it is a'comin']
  17. Skyfall - ADELE
    [I love ADELE's voice. I think I could listen to her sing 50 shades of gray, which is impressive because I've heard that book is utter crap. But beyond that, a Bond song completely suits her style and voice. This is the only movie song that I actually remember or associate with a film I've seen this year. And it's great. I enjoyed Skyfall. And from a selfish self-centered point of view, I feel like things are building up to a last stand.]
Oh, and in case you're wondering about the post's title, for 2013, Irish license plates will have a three digit preface to identify the year they were built. The first half of 2013 will have 131, the second half 132... Because who would want the number 13 on their license plate?! That'd be horrible bad luck!

Also... Christmas cards are being mailed en mass tomorrow, so if you haven't received yours, please don't worry! It'll be there shortly :)

No comments: