Sunday, July 12, 2009

Head - Shoulders - EFF!

Let's play a game called "What's wrong with Liz's knee?"

a) chondromalacia
b) medial meniscus tear
c) lateral meniscus tear
d) all/more than one of the above...

[initial ortho asseessment done, MRI done... vote now!]

I'll give you a bit of background if you want to play with more detail than is possible on fb status updates.
1 - We're talking about my right knee.
2 - Yes, I've run 2 marathons, including the Dublin marathon back in October. I ran the Flora 10k June 1st and that's the last time I've been out for a run. (I may or may not have been injured following my left foot getting clipped by a cab about 2 weeks prior)
3 - There was never any specific trauma to the knee. BUT, I have played basketball for about 17 years, been running for about 15 years, played tennis for nearly 20 years, and was a catcher in softball for a number of years as well.
4 - My knee makes lovely crepitations (you can hear and feel - mostly just behind the patella) whenever I extend it, and it is loud enough to be heard going up AND down stairs over the sound of flip-flops.
5 - Pain is a transient thing, but it's mostly achy, about 3 hours post run, or after 3 days without running... Or for the past 4 days straight. It's both medial and lateral along the joint margins, and it's tender over my lateral and medial meniscus.
6 - Apparently, that little moving/popping thing all the way on the inside of my knee... That's my medial meniscus (as according to the ortho)

Other things I'll tell you: It was brilliant that on my first week back in the States, I was able to book an appointment with an orthopedic knee surgeon, have said appointment, book an MRI and have said MRI. I'll probably get the results tomorrow (Monday), about 2 business days following the procedure.

We'll see what the results are. Updates to follow.

No comments: